FRESHMAN FIRST DAYS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Welcome, paper words card hang by wooden pegWELCOME CLASS OF 2020!

We know you are looking forward to the first days of the school year and your first days in High School.  We are excited to welcome you to St. Rose.  We are sure you have many questions about the opening days and hope this post helps to answer some of them for you. If there is anything else you need to know, please contact Mrs. Bedford at extension 305.

GETTING READY

• When do I get my schedule? Schedules are available on PowerSchool.  Your PowerSchool log-in was mailed home to your parents. You will also receive a copy of your schedule during homeroom on your first day.
  • Where do I buy my uniform? Uniforms are purchased through Land’s End.
  • Do students carry backpacks? Most of our students carry their books and belongings in either backpacks or tote bags.
  • When will I get my lanyard?You will receive your lanyard on September 8.  You will have your yearbook photo and student ID photo taken the following week.  Your ID will be distributed in HR when they arrive sometime in late September.
  • How do I know what school supplies to buy?You will visit your classes and meet your teachers on the second day of Orientation, September 7.  You will receive a list of school supplies when you meet your teachers that day.  However, most teachers have their supply lists posted on Schoology.  Sign-in to Schoology from the link on the school website.  Your log-in information was mailed home along with your PowerSchool log-in.

YOUR FIRST DAY

• Where do I go when I get to school for Freshman Orientation?  The first two days of school are Tuesday, September 6, and Wednesday, September 7. These are Freshman Orientation days and only Freshmen report to school.  When you arrive at school on Tuesday, September 6, you will go to the CAF until the HR bell rings at 8:04 a.m.  When the warning bell rings you will move to HR.  Your HR is listed on your schedule and there will also be HR lists posted throughout the building to help you know where to go.  Student ambassadors will be available throughout the building to help you find your way to HR and classes both days of Orientation.
  • What happens on Orientation Day?  On the first day of Orientation (September 6), you will find your homeroom, have a welcome and opening prayer service in the Little Theater, receive your school issued iPAD, receive training on how to use your iPAD and the pre-loaded APPS, have lunch with your new friends, and meet your teachers. On the second day of Orientation (September 6) you will go to homeroom, get your locker and locks and practice opening them, have lunch, go to all your classes, and meet all of your teachers.
  • Do I need to bring lunch or money for lunch on the Orientation Days? No! SRHS and Student Council will provide your lunch on both days of Orientation.  Get ready to eat pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, cookies, and ice cream.

FINALLY STARTING

• How does the schedule work for classes?There are eight (8) class periods and a homeroom period each day.  The warning bell rings each morning at 8:04 a.m. and you need to be in homeroom by the second bell at 8:08 a.m.  On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, classes run forward starting with first period and ending with eighth period (HR-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8).  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, classes run backward, starting with eighth period and ending with first period (HR-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1).  On a regular day classes are 42 minutes long.  All bell schedules are posted on the school website and in the Student Handbook.
  • When do I get my log-in for the PowerSchool and Schoology? Your log-in information as well as your parents’ log-in information was mailed home in July.  If you do not have this information, you need to contact the Technology Department at extension 331.  Log-in information will only be emailed or mailed to parents, not students.
  • How do I know my grades in my classes? Grades can be found on-line in PowerSchool.
  • May I carry my cell phone on campus? Cell phones can be used on campus in the morning until the warning bell rings at 8:04 a.m. and after the final bell at 2:28 p.m.  Between 8:04 a.m. and 2:28 p.m. cell phones must be turned off and kept in your locker or in your backpack.  They may not be carried on your person.  If you use your cell phone during the day or it is seen on your person it will be collected and sent to the Dean of Students’ office where it will be held for 24 hours.  Please see the Student Handbook for a full explanation of the cell phone policy and the consequences for using your cell phone during the day.
  • What fun events can I look forward to? LOTS! You and your new friends will celebrate at the Inaugural Ball in October.  The fun continues when the whole school participates in Spirit Week, the Walk-A-Thon, Clash of the Classes, and the Bonfire Pep Rally the first week in October.  Throughout the year are many other fun events – check the website for our school calendar.
  • How will I know if the school is closed for a snow day? There are a couple of ways to find out if the school is closed due to inclement weather.  You will receive a Honeywell Alert announcing a school closing.  You can also follow us on Twitter @SRHSNJ, check the school website, or like us on Facebook.