Be Grateful

gratitude-happiness-2My friends often make fun of me (imagine that) for using the word “grateful” so much. I have even been challenged to go through a whole visit or dinner conversation without using the word grateful once. I’ve never been able to do it. I try, but I never make it. And I am OK with that. In fact, after having the opportunity to see Pope Francis and hear his homily at the Vesper Service at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, I am feeling a little bit justified to say “I am grateful” even more. In his homily that evening, Pope Francis challenged the priests and religious present to do two things: to be grateful and work hard. Now when my friends give me a hard time, I just remind them that I am only doing what the Pope asks!

In reality, I have every reason in the world to be grateful. I am loved absolutely and unconditionally by God and my wonderful parents and family whom I love as dearly. I am blessed with great friends. Each and every day I get to live the gift of my vocation among and with my dear Sisters of Saint Joseph and this amazing community. I am blessed to spend my day surrounded by the students, faculty, and families of St. Rose and the natural beauty of our community. I have a ministry that I love and my days are filled with hundreds of reasons, big and small, to be grateful. How can I not give thanks!

Practicing gratitude is good for my heart – spiritually, emotionally, and physically! Being grateful each day makes me happy and science shows that a positive outlook on life leads to better physical and mental well-being and health.

In this season of thanksgiving, I thought I’d share with you a few resources for giving thanks and practicing gratitude each day. They come from one of my favorite sites, Busted Halo.  Sponsored by the Paulist Fathers, Busted Halo is “an online magazine for spiritual seekers” that acknowledges that we are all “saints in the making” with our own unique dents and imperfections.

• Gratitude Can Change Your Life – This post compiles some of the most recent research on the impact gratitude has on our quality of life and well-being and offers a few suggestions for practicing gratitude daily.
  • Digital Gratitude – For those of us who love technology, this is a great compilation of digital tools and APPS to help us be more grateful each day.  (I must be honest. Though I love technology, I take a pretty low-tech, no-tech approach to my own prayer.)
  • Gratitude Retreat – A simple retreat experience that you can do individually or with a small group to help you count your blessings.